Saturday 23 February 2013

Jeremy Jordan King, author of In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale

In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King is available for Kindle and the Kindle app from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk:
US: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King on amazon.com
UK: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King on amazon.co.uk

In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King
In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale
by Jeremy Jordan King

In Book One of The Immortal Testimonies, Jeremy is stuck, like most young New Yorkers, in a world between adolescence and adulthood. Just when he thought that he was an average, blend-in-with-the-crowd gay kid, he becomes the victim of a terrible act of homophobia. Thankfully, a mysterious something comes to his aid. Garth is a gargoyle, trapped in stone and cursed to live an immortal life. Human and monster must become friends and confront the mysterious and magical events of the past that have brought them together.

. . . . . . . .

Author Quiz interviews Jeremy Jordan King...

Is there anything about you or your writing that makes you unique from other authors?
You know, high school is a nutty time. You're discovering parts of yourself that only adolescence brings to light. It's a really supple place to set a story because emotions are super high and experiences are life-shaping. But I personally found the years after high school to be the most difficult and formative-- almost more interesting and frustrating than my teen years. So as I was growing into adulthood, I wanted to read my story. But most of the fantasy fiction was about teenagers, and most of the gay fiction was about coming out. Where was I? There's a severe lack of representation of what we could call the "new adult" in fiction, especially in fantasy fiction. And don't even get me started on the absence of gay protagonists. Ugh. I'm tired of seeing twenty-something gay men forced to read books about teenage girls because there's no books about them. Don't get me wrong, I love those books, but my community deserves to see themselves in popular fiction. So I'm helping them.

What came first, the idea for your first book or the decision to write a book?
With my first novel, In Stone, the idea came first. I'd been wanting to write a novel about a gargoyle for years. When I finally sat down to write, the ideas came pouring out. The creative reservoir was full. Now I'm working on companion pieces to that book. In this case, the decision to write comes first. It's a really interesting place to start because I have to work a little harder to find the story. I actually have to take time to find inspiration-- come up with ideas, plots, and characters. It's really fun and strange and sometimes difficult.  

Would your book, In Stone, work best as a movie adaptation or as a TV series?
I think In Stone would work in either medium, but a TV series might be more interesting and fulfilling. The world of the novel is pretty vast. As more books come out, you'll learn of events that take place in 2008 and some that take place in 800. I think a TV series could really explore the many stories in imaginative ways over many episodes, whereas a film is limited to about 120 minutes. I'm a huge fan of any form of adaptation, but I think television studios are currently doing more successful adaptations than film studios. Books, movies, and TV shows are all different animals. They can't be carbon copied. It takes a lot of thought to translate work into another medium. I'm thrilled when it's done with integrity and creativity.  

Are any of your characters based on yourself and if so to what degree, and do you find it easier or more difficult to write characters based on yourself?

I used to write a lot of personal essays. Mostly stuff about family and awkward dating experiences. When I sat down to write my novel, the third person narrative wasn't feeling like me. So, as an exercise, I decided to write in my voice. I basically wrote a typical Jeremy essay about a crappy New Year's Eve party and threw a gargoyle into it. I really liked the product, so I kept it. For my first venture into novel writing, I think it was a good idea. It kept me honest and consistent. When the book went into production, my editor asked me to amplify certain aspects of the character, particularly his neurosis and...over-the-top reactions to things. I did and there's now a much clearer distinction between the literary Jeremy and the actual Jeremy. He's a character. Also, the real-life Jeremy has never met a vigilante gargoyle. So, there's that... 

Are there any good book blogs or websites you would recommend, both for discovering new books and authors, and also for promoting your own work?

I check into LAMBDA Literary's website several times a week. I'm interested in new LGBT work and it does a pretty good job letting the public know what's out there. They also do reviews and interviews. I'd love for them to feature In Stone, but it just hasn't happened yet...

How do you see the publishing industry changing over the next few years?
It seems like there's going to be a lot more available to readers. Publishers are producing more work, both digitally and physically. Self-publishing is becoming more accessible to unpublished authors. This all results in a really saturated market. While it's great that so many writers will have the opportunity to show their work, competition is growing. It's already difficult to get exposure and I imagine it'll be even harder in coming years. Indie blogs like this are fantastic ways to introduce work to readers. 

What are some of your favourite quotes from reviews that you've received?

I can't recall the actual quotes, but I've seen readers react strongly to the unconventional love story present in my book. And I'm not referring to the gayness of the love story. In Stone explores several types of love- emotional, spiritual, sexual, platonic... When a reader picks up on the malleability of love, I'm very happy.

Would you rather have great reviews but average sales or great sales but average reviews?
Ugh. This is tough. If the reviews are from strangers or professional reviewers (translation: not my friends), they mean a bit more. To me, at least. Friends are wonderful, but they want to see one another do well. If I get a good notice from a person I don't know, it feels really great. That means I've touched them without any context...the work holds up. Then again, sales mean money and making a living completely off my novels would be wonderful. Maybe an average review but high sales on a first book could lead to a glowing review from a second book. I'm pretty new to this world, so I don't have a fully formed opinion.  

What advice would you give to a new author who has just finished writing their first novel and is unsure as to what steps to take next?
I think shopping a novel to agents and publishers is always worth a shot. Self publishing is great and all, but getting a book purchased by a house means less hustling for the author- the author gets a paycheck and doesn't have to front any cost for editing, production, distribution, and publicity. But before sending queries to the whole world, make sure the book is in tip-top shape. Sometimes I find that walking away from a finished manuscript for a few weeks helps. Read other books, watch movies, live life, and gain some perspective. Then go back and read your work with new eyes. You might find moments that can be improved, removed or altered. If you're happy after that pass, send it out.   

What sort of audience will your book, In Stone, most appeal to?
The same emerging adults that read popular paranormal/fantasy fiction will like In Stone. Especially if readers are looking for something a little different. My love triangles aren't the same, and not just because they're gay. I play with the same ideas and tropes that make the genre hot, but turn them on their head a bit. It's funny because I ultimately write with my community in mind, but some of In Stone's biggest fans are straight women who just want a solid fantasy story. I'm glad I could provide them with one.

. . . . . . . .

Jeremy Jordan King, author of
In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale
Thanks for your comments, Jeremy, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

You can find out more about Jeremy Jordan King's writing on his website:
http://jeremyjordanking.com/

. . . . . . . .

Jeremy Jordan King is on facebook and twitter:
Facebook: jjkpage
Twitter: @kingjeremyj

. . . . . . . .

In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King is available for Kindle and the Kindle app from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk:
US: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King on amazon.com
UK: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King on amazon.co.uk

Amazon also stock In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale in paperback:
US: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King
UK: In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale by Jeremy Jordan King


In Stone: A Grotesque Faerie Tale is also available from Barnes And Noble and Bold Strokes Books:
Barnes And Noble
Bold Strokes Books

No comments:

Post a Comment