Saturday 20 April 2013

Lynne M. Smelser, author of In Our Veins

In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser is available for Kindle and the Kindle app from Amazon:
US: In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser
UK: In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser

In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser
In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser

With his child's life hanging in the balance, scientist WESTON  ANDERSON  races to contain the spread of a deadly flu virus accidentally unleashed on the American public. However, his efforts to contain this vicious killer are thwarted by a major U.S. drug company and government operatives hoping to use it as a tool for biological warfare.

But before he can save the world, he must first save his daughter, Reilly. 

Exposed to the virus and now in the hands of kidnappers trying to create a cover-up, Reilly’s life slips further out of Weston’s hands with every passing moment.  Can Weston save the world and his daughter? Or must he make the ultimate sacrifice?


. . . . . . . .

Author Quiz interviews Lynne M. Smelser...

Where did the inspiration for In Our Veins come from?
My novel began from stories my grandmother told me about losing both a husband and two small children during the flu epidemic of 1936.  I included a character in my novel based on my grandmother and when I was writing the chapter where this character tells the horror of losing a husband and two children, I found myself crying uncontrollably.

When you first get the idea for a new story, do you find that the finished product tends to differ quite significantly from your original idea, or does the original idea remain more or less intact?
Recently I reviewed my early notes from my now finished novel and was completely astonished at how different the story was from where I began.  There were characters that I had not thought of initially who ended up playing a major role and one of my three main characters was originally just going to be in the first two chapters.  He ended up hanging on until the end.

If In Our Veins was made into a movie who would you want to play the main character and why?
Tom Hanks would make a wonderful Weston Anderson.

Are any of your characters based heavily on people you know or have met from real life and if so, would they regard it as a compliment or an insult to discover they were the inspiration for the character in question?
My main character, Weston Anderson, was heavily based on two professors I had in school.  I would like to think that they would both be flattered, but Weston does have his flaws and at times is less than heroic so I couldn't say for sure.

Do you have any useful marketing tips for other authors?
Don't be afraid to get help.  I was swimming in confusion for months before I reached out to people who knew marketing and got things moving.

What changes would you like to see take place in the publishing industry over the next few years?
I would like to see respect for self-published authors continue to grow.

What are some of your favourite quotes from reviews that you've received?I have had some great reviewers, but my favorite quote is, "It honestly took my breath away."

Can you remember the moment when you logged into your author account and discovered you had made your first sale?
I remember staring at the computer screen and thinking " WOW!  Someone other than my mom is buying my book!"

What advice would you give to a new author who has just finished writing their first novel and is unsure as to what steps to take next?
Proofread your book like crazy and have at least three other people proof it before you begin the marketing process.  Then when you begin, do your homework.  I have heard of authors paying up to $1,000 for services that are either free or at least under $200.

Why should people buy your book, In Our Veins?
I recommend my book to readers because not only does it tell the story of just how much the flu can devastate a family, but it goes to the broader issue of bioterrorism in our country.  Both of these are things that more people need to be aware of and prepared for now, not just someday.

Lynne M. Smelser, author of In Our Veins
. . . . . . . .

Thanks for your comments, Lynne, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

Discover more about In Our Veins and author Lynne M. Smelser at:
www.inourveins.com

. . . . . . . .

Follow Lynne M. Smelser on twitter:
@LynneSmelser

. . . . . . . .

In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser is available for Kindle and the Kindle app from Amazon:
US: In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser
UK: In Our Veins by Lynne M. Smelser

No comments:

Post a Comment