Saturday 19 October 2013

Andrea R. Cooper, author of Viking Fire

Viking Fire by Andrea R. Cooper is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US:  Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)
UK:  Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)

Viking Fire by Andrea R. Cooper
Viking Fire by Andrea R. Cooper

In 856 CE, Ireland is a land of myth, magic, and blood. Viking raiders have fought the Irish for over half a century. Rival Irish clans promise only betrayal and carnage.

Kaireen, daughter of Laird Liannon, is suddenly forced into an arranged marriage with her sworn enemy, a Viking. She refuses to submit. With no mention of love, only land and the protection of her clan, she endeavors to get her betrothed banished from her country. Will love find its way around her stubborn heart?

Bram, the Viking, finds himself without future or inheritance as a younger son in his family. A marriage to the Laird’s daughter would grant him land if he swears fidelity and if his men will fight along with the Liannons against any foe—Irish or Viking. However, the Laird’s feisty daughter only holds animosity for him and his kind. Is marriage worth the battle scars of such a relentless opponent?

With the blame for a rival laird’s death treacherously set against the Liannons, Kaireen and Bram must find a way to lay aside their differences as an unforeseen darkness sends death snapping at their heels.

. . . . . . . .

Author Quiz interviews Andrea R. Cooper...

What is it you love most about writing?
I love meeting new characters. I am a pantser, so I discover things while writing at the same time as a character does. I do know the ending-ish, but I allow my characters to develop along with the story. It’s a thrill when a character does something I wasn’t expecting.

What came first, the idea for your first book or the decision to write a book?
The idea. I’ve always had characters and story ideas running through my mind. When I was in Elementary school, kids would come up to me and ask what we were going to play. They wanted to be one of my characters and I set the plots. Of course, when I got older, I no longer had children to play the parts, so I started writing to let loose the stories multiplying inside my head.

If your book, The Garnet Dagger, was made into a movie who would you want to play the main character and why?
Brock: Eduardo Verastegui and Celeste: Elisha Cuthbert. Both are as close as I’ve been able to find of how I picture my characters. Of course, Eduardo would need to stay out of the sun for a few months first. ;)

Have you ever written a supporting character who took on a life of their own or turned out to be far more popular than expected and if so do you have plans to feature them as the lead character in a story of their own?
Yes. Elva from my historical romance, Viking Fire. She was so fun to write and gave me hints along the way as to her true character. I’ve gotten feedback from readers that they absolutely love her. I do plan to write her story, though it would be a sequel to Viking Fire.

If you worked for a publishing house, what sort of books would you be looking to publish?
I would want to publish books that I enjoy reading. Stories filled with plot and logic and throw in a little magic or paranormal, but don’t forget the Happily Ever After or at least Happily For Now.

The Garnet Dagger by Andrea R. Cooper
What are some of your favourite quotes from reviews that you've received?
“Elves and witches and magic, oh my! Fans of Tolkien will be smitten with Cooper's debut novel, which lures us in to fantasy worlds filled with an array of color, imagination and thoughtful creativity.” And “The world Cooper builds is impressive and her characters are memorable, reminiscent to me of those found in Tolkien or Martin.”

The reason I love these reviews is I am in awe that they would compare my fantasy / paranormal to the greats J.R.R. Tolkien and George R.R. Martin. I must confess, I never read either of these authors before writing The Garnet Dagger trilogy. I was not allowed to read books (or watch movies) like theirs – anything with magic, paranormal, or mythical creatures – even Disney - was off limits. However, these are the stories I craved. Since I write stories I would love to read, fantasy is a big part of that.

Which book more than any other have you read and thought, 'I wish I'd written this book'?
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

What would you say is your biggest strength as a writer?
Dialogue. I think from ‘acting’ out my stories all those years ago with the kids in my neighborhood helped me make more realistic sounding dialogue. I also have been told I write vivid descriptions that allow the reader to see the story like a movie in their mind without going overboard on the details.

Is there a TV series or movie which you think would appeal to a similar audience as your book?
Yes, for The Garnet Dagger I think fans (like me) of HBO’s Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings would be a similar audience as my book.

For Viking Fire, my historical romance, I think The History Channel’s Vikings would have a similar audience as my book. Or even the TV show The White Queen.

. . . . . . . .

Thanks for your comments, Andrea, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

Excerpt from Viking Fire (condensed):

Ireland 856 CE
“I renounce Father for this.” Kaireen threw the elderberry gown.

“Shame on you and your children for speaking such.” Her handmaid, Elva, gathered the damask and dusted off the rushes. “It’s a wonder one of the clim has not scolded you from your hearth for such talk.”

“No, curse Father for a fool.”

“You know your da arranged a marriage within a season.” Elva smirked.

Kaireen shook her head. “To another land holder,” and waved a hand in disgust, “not t-this heathen.”

“You’ve not seen him yet.” Elva wiggled her brows.

“So?” Kaireen shrugged. “I would like to never see him.”

“Well then, would you not like to know if you have a handsome husband or not?” She waited for her response, but Kaireen scowled at her. Elva chuckled. “I would rather get a good look at him now than the morning after.”

Kaireen’s ears heated. “I am not marrying.” She shook her head for emphasis. “So there will be no morning, nor night, nor wedding.”

“If he is handsome, I may fight you for him.” Elva smiled, deepening the wrinkles around her eyes.

“Welcome to him either way.” Kaireen laughed.

. . . . . . . .

Andrea R. Cooper, author of Viking Fire
Discover more about Andrea R. Cooper and her writing at her website:
www.andrearcooper.com

. . . . . . . .

Follow Andrea R. Cooper on twitter:
@AndreaRCooper

. . . . . . . .

Andrea R Cooper's books are available for Kindle from Amazon:

Amazon.com:
Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)
The Garnet Dagger (Crimson Romance)

Amazon.co.uk:
Viking Fire (Crimson Romance)
The Garnet Dagger (Crimson Romance)


And also from B & N:
Viking Fire
The Garnet Dagger

And iTunes:
Viking Fire
The Garnet Dagger

No comments:

Post a Comment